December 4, 2009

Steph Baxter + Nora Aoyagi


Ummm, yep...yesterday didn't quite happen despite the best intentions! But we're here, and hopefully time will allow me to get this alphabet finished - fingers crossed!

Let's go!

Steph Baxter

I have been spending loads of time looking for artwork for my nieces and nephews... this search has lead me on all sorts of journeys - through the works of all my favourites, all the people I've written about, and then trying to find artworks that best 'suit' the recipient.

I have found pieces for all seven of these special people, but I can't help wondering whether these posters below by Steph Baxter would of been a good fit... Inspirational slogans are always welcoming and motivating, and I can imagine that when I was a kid, I would of pondered and questioned my actions a whole lot more if I had had this first poster (pictured below) gracing my bedroom walls...

This art gifting is going to become a tradition, and be something we do every year, so I guess one of the lucky seven could have some inspirational words on their walls next Christmas! - enjoy!

(images by Steph Baxter)

NOTES:
visit Steph's website

Nora Aoyagi

Nora Aoyagi

describes her work as being both beautiful and strange. She draws on elements of Folk Law and Fairy Tales to create a collection inspired by traditional children's book illustration...

"Her images often possess a duality in which unlikely elements are present at one time, like when the unassuming girl emerges from the fearsome wolf with knife in-hand; or when the bear claws at his chest, revealing a stripe of shining gold beneath his thick black fur. Within this narrative, both the strange and beautiful dwell. "

I really like the 'Hello Stranger' image (pictured 5th below), but I can't help wondering if Red is going to get herself into a bit of bother! Take a peek:

(images and quote from Nora Aoyagi)

NOTES:
visit Nora's
website
read Nora's
blog
visit Nora's
store

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Ready for Z? it's coming!!

xxoo

1 comment:

Kickcan & Conkers said...

Nora's work is nice, I like these silhouettes.